Sunday, April 11, 2010

Adaptation

Ever since I can remember I played the fiddle. I got my first fiddle at 2 and been playing ever since. My dad taught me how to play, he was real good. My dad was the best fiddle player in the state of Georgia. I told him I would be better than him, someday. He told me to practice, practice, practice and someday I just might be. One night my parents went to see a movie. They said they would be back a little after ten. Ten came and went when about midnight I heard a knock on the door. Tired, I answered it, it was the police. The policeman told me my parents were involved in a car accident and did not make it. I was crushed, all I wanted to do is play my fiddle which reminded me of my dad. I did as my dad said and practiced. I was getting better and before I knew it I was the best in the state of Georgia. I loved my fiddle and took it everywhere I went. One day I was going down to the pond to sit and think about life and practice my fiddle when all of the sudden a huge beam of light blinded me. I thought maybe God was giving me back my dad until I could see again and realized it was the complete opposite. It was the Devil, with a golden fiddle! He started talking to me and saying how even though I was the best fiddle player in Georgia he could beat me. Dazed and confused I though OK, your gonna loose. Then he said if you lose I get your soul, if you win you get my golden fiddle. My parents taught me not to ever gamble, but I thought that I could beat him. I took his bet and prayed to God to help me. The Devil started out, the piece he played was fast and nothing I have ever heard before. He was good. It was my turn, I played a piece my dad wrote, it too was fast and crazy noted. I played it flawlessly. The Devil knew he had been beat he tried to get to have a re-match and was hesitant on giving me the fiddle. I finally got my golden fiddle and continued on my way to the pond. My dad would be proud of me!

6 comments:

  1. This is very well done. I think you followed the story line of the song very well, while also keeping it original to you. I would reccommend you add some dialogue in there though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the point of the adaptation was to follow close to the story of the song, then i agree with Sundiata up there, well done. However i thought we were supposed to change one of the 5 elements in order to make it our own short story. I see you added some about his dad so good job there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an incredible adaptation! I agree with Mr. Gaines though, dialouge would have been nice to have. But I loved how you put the father figure in there to make it your own. I really enjoyed reading this. Very Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story was fun and different! i enjoyed reading it. but i would say to end with something more. i felt like you just ended the story all of the sudden. But i really enjoyed your adaptaion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, this story was very fun and your followed the story line very nicely. I agree with the people above me that some dialogue would of been nive. Overall though you did a splendid job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done. i like how you added the death of his parents in the story. There are also some grammar that needs to be fixed in the story as well. Other than that you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete